Great Wall Hiking
Great Wall Hiking
Lifetime Great Wall Experience Creator Since 2009

Great Wall Hiking F&Q

Which sections of the Great Wall can the travelers visit nowadays?

Many sections of the wall were restored in 1980s and travelers can visit these more easily.   Beijing: Sightseeing at Badaling, Juyongguan and Mutianyu sections; Hiking at Jinshanling, Simatai, Gubeikou, Mutianyu and Jiankou sections. Tianjin: Sightseeing and hiking at Huangyaguan section Shanghaiguan in the eastern end: Sightseeing and hiking at Shanghaiguan section Gobi desert in the western end: Sightseeing and hiking at Jiayuguan section.

Which sections of the Great Wall can I do hiking?

There are several sections around Beijing you can do hiking, namely Jinshanling, Simatai, Gubeikou, Mutianyu, Jiankou and Huangyaguan. The most popular one is from Jinshanling to Simatai which will take 4 hours hiking on the wall, and is recommended by National Geographic Adventure Magzine.

What’s the weather like on Great Wall?

It’s meaningless to say the exact weather on the wall. There are different sections of the wall far away from Beijing, and it depends on which section you are going to do. Generally speaking spring and autumn are comfortable. In summer rain and wind can occur on the wall at any time, because you are walking along high ridges, you are exposed to the elements. Please check the weather report three days before your departure.

What to take when hiking the Great Wall?

Comfortable shoes or boots, water, snacks, sunscreen, sun-glasses, stick, pocket knife, first aid kit, lip balm, cap.

How can I have meals when hiking Great Wall?

There are no facility on the path of the Great Wall, nor restaurants. At the entrance of each section, there are a few farmer’s restaurants offering local Chinese food. If you do a day-hiking and not stay overnight near the wall, you can prepare some snacks at the supermarkets before departure from Beijing.

Can I do camping or sleeping on the Wall?

Yes. Camping or sleeping on the wall is only allowed on certain sections of the wall which indicated by local authority.