The Simatai Great Wall Overview
Updated: Simatai Great Wall now is a part of Gubei Water Town.
Simatai Great Wall is situated at Gubeikou Twon, Miyun County, 120 km (75 mi) northeast of Beijing. It stretches 5.4 km from Wangjinglou (Tower for Viewing the Capital) in the east and connects Jinshanling Great Wall in the west. Originally built in the North Qi Dynasty (550-577), it was reconstructed by General Qi Jiguang in the reign of Emperor Wanli from the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). It consists of 35 watch towers and still retains the original architecture feature of the Ming Dynasty. This section was restored again by Chinese government in 1987 and opened to the public in 1990. Simatai Great Wall was listed as World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO in 1987.
The Simatai Great Wall incorporates a variety of styles of other parts of the China Wall, but also display some unique features. This section of the wall is always describes as: perilous, dense, diverse, ingenuous and peculiar. Luo Zhewen, a prestigious Great Wall expert, praised “Great Wall of China is the best architecture all around the world, while Simatai section deserves the best among all China walls”.
With 15 watch towers in the east and 20 watch towers in the west, Simatai Great Wall is divided by a lake, named the Mandarin Duck Lake, which is fed by two springs, one is warm, and the other is cold. Even in winter time the lake never ice up. The both sections are linked up by a suspension bridge. Today there’s a zip line (flyingfox) over the lake for travellers to slide down quickly. The hills in the west are sloping gently with well-maintained towers, and the wall is winding on the hills like a golden dragon with majestic vigor. The towers are densely dotted in the eastern section and covered the peaks thousand meters high. Major attractions in the east include the Tower for Viewing the Capital, Fairy (Angel’s) Tower, Stairway to the Heaven and Sky Bridge. Unfortunately these places are closed to public due to safety concern.
Towers of the Simatai Great Wall