Mutianyu Great Wall Overview
Activities at Mutianyu Great Wall
- Hiking the 22 watch towers of the Great Wall at Mutianyu seciton, you can finish this in 3 hours
- Hike from Mutianyu to Jiankou in the westward. Start the hiking from Tower 8 by walking way, then walk along the restored section of the wall until Tower 22. Keep going westward on the wild wall for anther 12 watch towers, and reach the Zhengbeilou Tower, where you can see the beautiful Jiankou section of the wall. You will get off the wall the other side of the mountain. The whole journey can take up to 5-6 hours.
- Biking aound the villages near the wall. Mutianyu and other villages around provide from wonderful escape from the busstle and husstle of Beijing.
Travel Tips at Mutianyu Great Wall
- Mutianyu section is less crowded compared with Badaling section, but still busy at weekends and holidays. This is the ideal section who has a limited time but still want to escape from the commercial site at Badaling. Comfortable shoes or boots is essential.
- Spring and autumn are the best seasons to visit the Mutianyu Great Wall. The scenery is beautiful and it is not too hot, nor too cold. In winter, the workers will sweep the snow away, but it still could be slippery on the wall.
- Mutianyu is the favorite section when you travel with kids. Try to take the cable car up to Tower 14, walk to Tower 6, and then take the toboggan down from there. The kids love it a lot. It’s always a pleasant experience.
- You could have a lunch in a local restaurant nearby or just prepare snacks before departure from Beijing.
Getting Mutianyu Great Wall
- 1. Take No.916 (express bus) or No.936 (regular bus) bus at Dongzhimen Long Distance Bus Station (东直门长途汽车站) and get off at Mingzhu Square (Huairou International Conference Center怀柔国际会议中心), and take local taxi to Mutianyu Great Wall. You can negotiate the taxi with CNY 40 for one way trip.
- 2. A taxi from hotel in Beijing will cost CNY 500-600 and you will finish the journey in 6 hours.
Dining & Accommodation
There are numerous restaurants aroud the parking lot and it’s easy to find your food. Fish dishes are very popular in this area.
- Xinshuangquan Restaurant鑫双泉餐厅
This restaurant serves local Chinese food, but a little bit of westernized. Recommended dishes are Sweet and Sour Pork, Brocoli with Garlic and BBQ Fish.
Tel: 86- 10-61621633
Accommodation at Mutianyu Great Wall – There are many local guesthouses as well as some middle-level accommodations. Stay at a local guesthouse, try some local home-made food and join the locals daily life will be a particular experience.
- Great Wall Villa 长城山庄
Location: 1 km to the right of Mutianyu Huandao, at the foot of Mutianyu Great Wall
Tel: 86- 13701175838