Essential Great Wall Hiking from Huangyaguan to Shixiaguan (6 Day)
Trip code: GWPA61
Trip length: 6 Days
Hiking sections: Huangyaguan, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai West, Jiankou, Mutianyu, Huanghuacheng, Xishuiyu, Old Badaling, Shixiaguan
Meeting point and time: Your hotel at 08:30 on Day 1
Finishing point and time: Your hotel at 16:00 – 17:00 on Day 6
Hiking duration: 3 hours on Day 1, 5 hours on Day 2, 3 hours on Day 3, 5 hours on Day 4, 4 hours on Day 5, 4 hours on Day 6
Best time to go: Late March to early November
Physical rating: ★★★★★ Strenuous
Departure: Your selected date, start and finish in Beijing, all year round
- Hike on less-visited, wild, original, restored and safe sections of the Great Wall
- Try varied home-made food at local farmer’s guesthouses
- Learn Chinese dumpling-making at one local family
- Optional sunrise watching if weather permits
- Insight visit to local villages near the Great Wall
|Day1||Beijing to Huayaguan|
|Day2||Gubeikou to Jinshanling|
|Day3||Jinshanling to Simatai West|
|Day4||Jiankou to Mutianyu|
|Day5||Huanghuacheng to Xishuiyu|
|Day6||Old Badaling to Shixiaguan Back to Beijing|
Meals: breakfast/lunch/hotpot dinner
|Day1||Gubeikou Village||Local farmer's guesthouse||comfort|
|Day2||Gubeikou Village||Local farmer's guesthouse||comfort|
|Day3||Jiankou Village||Local farmer's guesthouse||basic|
|Day4||Xishuiyu Village||Local farmer's guesthouse||basic|
- Air-con vehicle with experienced driver
- Personal expert English-speaking hiking tour guide
- Entrance fees for the Great Wall
- Unlimited bottled water; snacks; meals as listed
- 5 nights twin-shared accommodation in local hotels or guesthouses
- Guided tour to the Ming Tombs (Dingling Mausoleum) & Sacred Way
- A certificate of completion for hiking on the Great Wall of China
- Travel insurance
- Cable car, chairlift, toboggan (slideway), flyingfox (zipline) or any other additional local facilities
- personal expenses
- Tipping of hiking guide/driver recommended on good service on a 2:1 ratio separately
What to take
- Passport (with photocopies)
- Travel insurance (with photocopies, is required to show us before tour departure) USD cash and travellers’ cheques
- Credit card or debit card
- China entry visas (or vaccination certificates) required
- Day pack (with water tank, or water bottle) for daily personal items Wet wipes/Moist towelettes
- Alarm clock Flashlight/torch
- Sun hat, sun block, sunglasses Insect repellent
- Ear plugs for light sleepers Small towel
- Toiletries (biodegradable)
- Sturdy walking shoes/sports sandals/hiking boots Money belt
- Shorts for summer months (June-August) Zip-off hiking pants/track pants
- Fleece, jacket, hat and gloves (in winter) Waterproof jacket
- Cover for backpack or plastic bags to keep clothes dry
- Camera and memory card Reading/writing material First-aid kit
- You will hike the Wall from A to B and you need a day pack to carry water, snacks and other personal stuff.
- Travel insurance is optional and is the sole responsibility of travelers. It is strongly encouraged to have coverage of injury or accident.
- There is no toilet along the path on the Wall. There are toilets at entrances of all sections of the Great Wall, otherwise be prepared to commune with nature. Please prepare before hiking and always carry toilet paper by yourself.
- Unlimited bottled waters are stored in our vehicle.
- We will bring trekking poles in our vehicle and please tell your guide if you need one.
- Since this trip will go through jungles and bushes, then long pants with zip-off legs will be the best in summer time and shorts are not recommended.
- You will be followed by local farmers when starting the hike on Day 3. The farmers will give you help along the way, as a reward they will sell some souvenirs. If you don’t like this, you have to say NO firmly at the beginning (MAYBE LATER does not work in Chinese culture) or just ignore them and not speak a word with them; otherwise they can be persistent and follow you all the way on the Wall.
- It’s recommended to prepare your own snacks before your departure from Beijing if you don’t like snickers.
- Travel insurance is optional and is the sole responsibility of travelers. It is encouraged to have coverage of injury or accident.
- As responsible travelers, we “take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprint”.
Customized Pick-up & drop-off:
If you plan the hike on the first or last day of your duration in Beijing, we can include a customized pick-up or drop-off at the following points without additional cost. It’s safe to store your luggage at our car/van.
- Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK at T1/T2/T3): arrival before 7am or departure after 7pm
- Beijing Railway Station: arrival before 8am or departure after 7pm
- Beijing West Railway Station (train to/from Xi’an): arrival before 8am or departure after 7:30pm
- Beijing South Railway Station (train to/from Shanghai): arrival before 8am or departure after 8pm
Download Tour Information
Want to print out the tour information for later reference, sending to a friend or printing?
Click on the PDF picture below to download the tour information for this tour!
Book online now with our easy to use booking system, just click the button below to reserve your one in a life time experience on the Great Wall!
All Bookings are secure and are confirmed within 24hrs
For full information and details on our Booking conditions. Please feel free to visit the following page:
Or you may download the full Booking Conditions as a PDF By clicking on the PDF icon below:
Days before departure Charge applicable:
Not less than 14 days: Loss of deposit
Between 7 and 13 days: Loss of 50% of the total booking cost or loss of deposit; whichever is the greater
6 days or less: Loss of total booking cost